BrothersOfBushcraft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BrothersOfBushcraft

This Forum is made for those who are interested in the project titled "The Brothers of Bushcraft". The Project is an ongoing program from men whose backgrounds cover much of North America, and beyond.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My survival kit. Whats in yours?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My survival kit. Whats in yours? Empty My survival kit. Whats in yours? Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:30 pm

alw357

Green Horn

This kit is what i carry in to the woods everytime I go. Weather hiking, hunting, or staying out over night. The base for this kit is an Adventrue Medical Kit Ulta Light .7. (looking at getting a .9 becasue of the bigger back and because I can keep it all in one place.) This is proabably different that most peoples in that is is not a little tin. I am working on some of those but I usually have a pack of some kind and always have room for this.

Like I said I started with this. If you have never looked at any of their kits I reccopmmend that you do they are very well thought out. I also have some items in this zip-loc bag because there is not enough room in the med kit for it.

My survival kit. Whats in yours? DSC_0807

The following is a list of the contents of the kit from Adventure medical:

Supply List

Bandage Materials
1 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 2"
5 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
3 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
3 Bandage, Butterfly Closure
2 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"

Bleeding
1 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe

Blister / Burn
1 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (11 pieces)

Duct Tape
1 Duct Tape, 2" x 26"

Fracture / Sprain
1 Bandage, Elastic with Velcro, 2"

Instrument
3 Safety Pins
1 Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps

Medication
2 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
1 Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2
3 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
2 After Bite Wipe

Wound Care
3 Alcohol Swab
1 Tape, 1" x 10 Yards
1 Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive
4 After Cuts & Scrapes Antiseptic Wipe
3 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use

This contents and what I have added:

My survival kit. Whats in yours? DSC_0808

-Signal Mirror
-Match Case with some tinder
-Wetfire tinder
-Silva Compass
-Bic Lighter
-Light Fire Fire Steel
-Swiss Army Knife
-Fire Gel
-Hand Wipes

Can you tell I like options when trying to start a fire.

The Zip-Loc bag:

My survival kit. Whats in yours? DSC_0809

-VS-17 Panel
-More Fire Gel
-Two batteries for my headlamp
-Marker
-Knife Sharpener (Gerber I think)
-Adventure Medical Survival Blanket

There's other items that are also always in my pack: 550 cord, a poncho, fixed blade, etc. Also i would like to add a small light, fishing kit, and some snare wire to this kit and I will in time.

Let me know what you think or any suggetions you have.I built this around the first aid kit because it is something that I will always have with me.

Thanks,

Alan

2My survival kit. Whats in yours? Empty Re: My survival kit. Whats in yours? Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:12 pm

AMS

nice kit brother

3My survival kit. Whats in yours? Empty Re: My survival kit. Whats in yours? Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:24 pm

PalmettoArcher

PalmettoArcher
Green Horn

Really nice kit, Alan. When I finally get mine put together I will post it.

I like the versatility of you med bag. My wife is a nurse and just recently gave me a couple DermaBond ampules to address the more serious lacerations I may encounter in the wilds.

The final issues for me are cordage and snares. I don't know whether to pack 550 cord or bank line. I have been been practicing with Thompson snares, but I feel that I can significantly reduce kit real estate by substituting them (3) with a sewing maching bobbin loaded with 20 feet of 24 guage brass wire. I'm not sure though. Still testing, because I want to be confident and competent with whatever I choose....you know, practice with what you pack (PWYP).

4My survival kit. Whats in yours? Empty Re: My survival kit. Whats in yours? Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 pm

alw357

Green Horn

PA and AMS,

Thanks for the compliments. There are things I want to add to it as time goes, truth be told my whole back is a survival kit. It just depends on what Im doing as to what IM carrying. That one kit is always there.

PS I need to work on the PWIP.

Thanks Guys.

5My survival kit. Whats in yours? Empty Re: My survival kit. Whats in yours? Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 am

MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe
Tender Foot

Nice 'comprehensive' Kit.

"Back In The Day", My Brother was a 'Paramedic Instructor' .. And was also My ScoutMaster .. As would be expected, His FAK contained enough 'stuff' to stock a small hospital ER .. heh!
... So, Of Course, My 'FAK' is comprised solely of DuckTape, an ancient partial roll of white bandage tape, and some 'medicinal salve' that My Wife makes.

6My survival kit. Whats in yours? Empty extra goodies Tue May 28, 2013 4:49 pm

naturaltactics

your kit looks good, if I were to deck it out a bit here is where I would go.
storage: cooking container billy or mess kit, even a small stainless pot with a lid if your wife isn't looking Wink it doesn't take much room as your gear goes in it.
-wire saw of braided steel lightly greased in greasy bag to regrease, can be used as a snare.
-maybe swap victorinox for 1 of the multitools they make if it will fit, the saw and pliers can be very handy.

water purification: I like a bottle of polar pure, I suround it with tinder tabs with a whistle and a sparklite firestarter in a small sturdy plastic box but even a few purification tablets could come in handy when fire is hard to come by ie) storm.

as for your flashlight needs, streamlight makes a 1 AAA penlight that I find to be of great survival merit, very powerful yet long lasting, also the gerber firecracker using 1 AA and a projector similar to a binocular will last just about forevor on a battery, for something bright pelican makes a very nice maglite looking led that will blind you and is submersible.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum