BrothersOfBushcraft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BrothersOfBushcraft

This Forum is made for those who are interested in the project titled "The Brothers of Bushcraft". The Project is an ongoing program from men whose backgrounds cover much of North America, and beyond.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Need advice revitalizing a Victorinox

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Need advice revitalizing a Victorinox Empty Need advice revitalizing a Victorinox Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:50 pm

Canukian

Hello all,
On one of my recent outings, I stumbled across a Victorinox Huntsman knife.
The knife has been outside for a while, and suffers from massive corrosion.
I was able to pull the tools out, but it required pliers! Aside from the corrosion, the knife is in incredible condition (blades are very sharp and free of any kind of abrasion)

My question is: What product can I use to remove this corrosion without damaging the plastic handle on the knife? I have already tried soaking in vinegar, sanding and lubricating, but it's going to take something fairly potent to eat this stuff off...
Any suggestions?

PalmettoArcher

PalmettoArcher
Green Horn

I've had a lot of luck restoring neglected carbon steel knives and cutting edges in my home shop by using a mixture of baking soda, Flitz, and some elbow grease. This combination does an excellent job of getting scale off the blade and restoring lustre, but you should know that it will do nothing to restore the pitting in the blade. Stock removal by sharpening will work out the pitting on the cutting edge.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Canukian

Thanks for the tip! I will try the baking soda/flits mixture.
There is no pitting or corrosion on the tools themselves. It's actually in the cracks, and locking mechanisms, which makes it next to impossible to pull the tools out without a set of pliers. I soaked it over night in some carburetor cleaner, and it seemed to break some of the corrosion loose, however I still cannot open the blades or tools.
I will keep at it and post my results.
Kind regards!

SimpleOne

SimpleOne

One thing you can use is break free. You will have to work the blades back and forth to get them moving freely.

5Need advice revitalizing a Victorinox Empty the fix Tue May 28, 2013 6:54 pm

naturaltactics

put the knife in a ziplock bag and spray wd40 then leave it for a few days it should help

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum